To deal with this I've started to adopt a naming convention. The trick I've used is to split the 12-character name into five subfields as follows:
- AAAAAA: base name of model e.g. 'SKORPI'
- T: model type e.g. F= F3F or J = F3J
- V: version number for referencing external documentation
- RRR: development tree. e.g. A = 1st copy, AA = copy of A, AB = alternative copy of 'A' etc.
- S: status X= experimental, Z=obsolete
1 STING_J1 - Sting F3J v1.01
2 STING_F4 - Sting F3F v2.04
3 STING_F4A - Copy of (2)
4 STING_F4AA_X - 1st copy of (3), experimental
5 STING_F4AB_X - 2nd copy of (3), experimental
6 STING_F4ABA - Copy of (5)
7 WILDTH - Wildthing
How it works on the field:
- For routine flying, I choose a model without an 'X' at the end
- After copying a model, I amend the development tree of the copy, and place an 'X' at the end.
- After testing, I remove the terminating 'X'
It's early days, but I'm already finding the scheme helpful. Bear in mind this naming convention is designed around my F3F and F3J setups - you can always adapt it for your own needs.