Friday 17 July 2015

F3J/TD setup version 2.0 for Taranis

It's a year since I first published my F3J setup, and during that time it's generated a steady flow of interest. Thanks to all who provided feedback, as a result of which I've now updated the setup to v. 2.

Changes in the new version:

  • New 'zoom' flight mode.
    A couple of users asked for this, the idea is to flick from 'launch' to 'zoom' mode as you approach the top of the tow.
    If you don't require zoom mode, it can be disabled.
  • Reverse diff.
    This is taken from my F3F setup. Rev diff adds some extra downward aileron movement as crow is deployed, improving roll response on landing. (Reverse diff is adjustable. It's distinct from aileron differential suppression which is applied automatically.)
  • Runs under OpenTx v. 2.x only.
    Support for OpenTx 'classic' has been dropped. 
  • Documentation has been improved.

The setup is compatible with OpenTx versions 2.0 and 2.1, and should be good to go with the new Taranis 9XE.

So.. is it worth upgrading your existing F3J models to the new setup? If you don't need the new features, then probably not as migrating the model settings is not straightforward. But if you're starting with a fresh F3J model, then I'd recommend using the new version.

You can download F3J Setup from OpenTx Clinic.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!

Thanks for an interesting blog! Here comes some thoughts and a "request".

I was pointed to this blog by some well-meaning experienced flyers on a Swedish forum since I bought myself a Taranis. However, being a "beginner" - not flying, because I started with free flight in the 80's a - but I never competed and the point of the setups pass straight over my head - daunting is perhaps the word.

Most likely I will never get to the point where I need all the features but I really like the idea. I'm reluctant though to introduce stuff that I dont understand. :)

I'm a control systems software engineer so I have the background from that end, but I lack the understanding of your competition and function needs.

What I do try to find though, so far without success, is a short pedagogic description of how to link the functions in the system logically and a "modular" approach which lets me add a function at a time (i.e camber, then reflex etc.) without risking spaghetti code.

The other is a "flying explanation" of the features. The manuals are very thorough but assumes the reader has full knowledge of the FXX demands. Looking through the blog it seems that you expect the reader to have that understanding, for example the "reverse diff" blog although I dont entirely understand what to do with the function and how the aircraft would behave.

This is generally very badly documented in the RC-community, where the "dive test" to determine CoG is perhaps what you would be able to find.

So perhaps you would consider doing a bit of occasional filling in the blanks between basic and advanced stuff?

Sincerely
Kristoffer






Unknown said...

Oh, I completely missed the Clinic thing. I will look through that!

I've been on RC-groups for a while, I'll keep looking. :)

Unknown said...

This is brilliant. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

http://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/gvars_highmix/highmix.htm

RC Soar said...

Thanks for your comments.
Re modular code, the three techniques which I use are servo calibration, global variables and high mixes. Used together they make complex setups not just possible but also easily adjustable. All described in OpenTx Clinic . There's also detailed documentation in the Excel workbook provided with each setup.
As for explaining the basic sailplane functions, RC Groups is good for this kind of advice.